Currently, Mr. Stastny provides strategic merger & acquisition advisory, equity private placement fund raising and “Transaction Readiness” consulting services to emerging, enterprise information technology companies. Mr. Stastny’s primarily sector expertise is focused on the SaaS, Cybersecurity, IT Infrastructure, Big Data, Cloud Services and Storage sectors. Mr. Stastny serves as Managing Director at Dresner Partners and is the founder Palo Alto based consulting partner firm Centaur Partners. During the previous 20 years, Mr. Stastny was senior investment banker and venture capitalist focused on Technology, Media and Telecom companies.
He served as Managing Director at Soundview Financial Group, (sold to WIT Capital), Oppenheimer and Co. (sold to CIBC World Markets) and Robertson Stephens & Co. (sold to Bank of America and then BancBoston Fleetbank). He has been the lead and/or senior banker on a large number of premier technology IPOs, follow-on offerings, buy and sell-side M&A advisory, hostile takeover defense, private placements, spinouts and restructurings.
In addition, Mr. Stastny has significant experience a senior venture capital investing partner. From 1999 through 2011, Mr. Stastny was senior managing member of both the Osprey and GKM Venture Capital funds. Osprey Ventures, LP was a $92 million-dollar expansion stage fund investing in the technology sector. GKM Ventures, LP was an $81 million SBIC fund with a similar expansion stage technology focus. The GKM and Osprey Funds acquired and managed equity and debt positions in thirty-three (33) portfolio companies during the life of the Fund.
Representative financial advisory “client transactions” include:
- Nearpod—a $52M sell-side advisory engagement SaaS Educational/Training platform in a majority transaction with Insight Venture Partners.
- Contractually—a sell-side advisory assignment resulting in an acquisition by Coupa Software(COUP).
- Cenzic—a sell-side advisory assignment that resulted in an acquisition by Trustwave Holdings, Inc.
- Appthority—a strategic and institutional private placement which resulted in a $10M Series B equity round led by Blue Coat Systems (acquired by Symantec – NASDAQ: SYMC), Knollwood Management, USVP and Venrock Capital.
- PCTEL—a public company divestiture advisory engagement leading to the sale of PCTEL Secure division to Redwall Technologies.
- Coupa Software (COUP) —an expansive buy-side advisory assignment that resulted in the acquisition of Xpenser.
- Ellie Mae (ELLI) —a $61 million Follow On offering and buyside “tuck-in” acquisition sourcing.
- Allot Communications—(ALLT) a $91 million Follow-On offering and buyside “tuck-in” acquisition sourcing.
- Paymate—a sell-side advisory resulting in a merger with ACT Networks (a ROAMData /Ingenico division).
- Insightful—a $25 million sell-side advisory engagement resulting in an acquisition by TIBCO
- Document Sciences—a $85 million sell-side advisory engagement resulting in an acquisition by EMC.
- Telcontar—a $25 million private placement led by Ford Motor Company and other strategic investors including Trimble Navigation. (and a merger in 2014 with deCarta Software now an Uber division).
- SalesLogix—a $33 million financing and buyside advisory assignment to acquire Symantec’s ACT contact management software product and a subsequent advisory to select IPO investment banks.
Mr. Stastny advised and supported positive IPO’s, M&A and other investor liquidity transactions for eighteen (18) GKM and Osprey portfolio companies including:
- Ellie Mae completed an IPO in May 2011 and Follow on offering in June 2012, the company has completed five (5) successful acquisition since 2000.
- BuyDirect acquired by Beyond,com [BYND].
- CyberGold [CGLD], completed its initial public offering (IPO) then was acquired by United Airlines Mileage Plus [UAUA].
- Panopticon completed a merger with Kana Software [KANA].
- Hotpaper completed a merger with GoAmerica [GOAM].
- Lara Networks completed a merger with Cypress Semiconductor [CY].
- Epicentric was acquired by Vignette [VIGN].
- BlueStar Solutions was acquired by Affiliated Computer Systems [ACS].
- AppShop was acquired by US Internetworking Inc (USI) , USinternetworking was acquired by AT&T [T].
- GlobalSight was acquired by Transware PLC.
- Netbotz was acquired by APC [APCC].
- Market Wire was acquired by CCNMatthews Company.
- Voyager Systems completed a merger with TriTech.
- Size Technologies was acquired by First Data Corp. [FDC].
- ETI Inc., acquired by Versata, Inc.
- Oxford Semiconductor acquired by (PLXT).
- Sabrix, Inc was acquired by Thompson Reuters [R]
- Advanced Data Exchange was acquired by Liaison Technologies.
Mr. Stastny holds a B.S Business Administration with a International Business, Finance & Marketing concentration from the University of Colorado, Boulder